Friday, May 5, 2023

Friday, May 5, 2023

May 1 - 5, 2023

Blog # 21

Using Poetry to Develop Reading Skills

    April was "Poetry Month", throughout the month the grade threes explored several poems to refine their reading skills.

A Little Poem for Poetry Month
by Jack Prelutsky

I'm glad we have a Poetry Month,
But still, I wonder why
They chose a month with thirty days —
Were months in short supply?
I wish that they'd selected
A longer month, like May.
I'm certain I'd appreciate
That extra poetry day.

Of course, if they'd picked February,
I would be aghast,
For February's very short
And passes far too fast.
But April's not as short as that,
So I don't hesitate
To say I'm glad it's Poetry Month.
Hooray! Let's celebrate.

Why we read poems:

  • Can be humorous which may appeal to young readers.
  • Many rhyme or repeat which adds a predictability and fosters self-confidence while reading. 
  • Are short in length, students can practice reading the same passage numerous times.
  • Work well for "choral reading" where everyone in the small group can read it aloud at the same time while monitoring their accuracy, pace and volume.
  • Students can search for words that contain skills previously discussed such as letter combination sounds, synonyms/antonyms, locating nouns, verbs and adjectives or suffixes and prefixes.
  • Provide an opportunity to teach new vocabulary.
  • Develops retelling or summarizing skills.
A few of our favourites:






0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home