Friday, January 13, 2023

Friday, January 13, 2023

Post # 9

January 9-13 

Happy New Year!

    For many a new year means creating some form of resolution. This week everyone in grades three to six worked on creating a reading goal. 

"When students have a reading goal they are working on, they have basically created a vision and path for their future learning." 

Sarah Marye "How to Help Your Students Set Meaningful Reading Goals"

    Each student was asked to choose a reading goal that related back to their grade specific curriculum. We also had many engaging discussions about a second more personal reading goal.

Personal goals included:

"I am going to read more books by an author I discovered."  

"I want to explore a new type (genre) of book."

"I want to read _____ pages by the end of January." 

"I could finish every book I start. I remember a time when my mom asked me to read "The Land of Stories". It was so boring and then I got into it. I couldn't put it down." 

Curriculum related goals included:

"My reading goal is comprehension. I can choose a 'Good Fit Book' ."

"I can make inferences to improve my understanding."

"I want to identify the author's purpose and look at their word choice."

"My reading goal is comprehension. I can understand characters and how they can impact a story."

"I would like to practice my decoding. I will say each sound or blend sounds together."

"When reading I am going to look for interesting words to expand my vocabulary."

"Improve my fluency by a stopping briefly at periods and pausing at commas." 

I look forward to reflecting on and celebrating our achievements in March.


On a personal note. Thank you to my students and their families for the notes, cards, photos, and gifts.

They were greatly appreciated and brought a smile to my face.💜



  



 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home